unpacking, creating order


I returned back to my flat after a beautiful week away housesitting.  That means unpacking the car and bags, and a lot of sorting out.  Creating order. Which is my very favourite thing among many others.

"Homecoming" is easy now - it's the flipside of the speedy packing I wrote about earlier. However, housesitting is really different from a hotel trip - in so many ways. Focusing on just two elements:

I take much more stuff, because I plan to do some nice recreational things, and cook of course. This time I took sheet music (singing practice), sewing machine & fabric (finish a quilt top) and an assortment of edibles to complement the good stuff I knew I'd find in the pantry.

It's bigger, and I use more of the space. I had stuff in two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, dining room, laundry, lounge, office, garage, bikeshed, deck! Pretty well spread out, what luxury.

You do your best when packing up to leave, but it's inevitable something gets left behind. That's where the orderly unpacking comes in - if I put stuff away in its proper place as soon as I get home, theoretically I'll notice the gaps and realise what's missing. So far, I'll I've missed is the cheese ("Who moved my cheese?") Hopefully the family will recognise it's feta and make a Greek salad.

Hope there's nothing else more significant ...





2 comments:

Belladonna said...

Just unloaded the car from a holiday away. And doing much the same things. I pack several different bags for different stuff (sewing bag, reading bags (Me and Mitchell), swimming bags, etc.
Makes it easier to lay sort out what you want to take, find it once you're there, and bring it safely back again.
But get raised eyebrows from the travel lightly crowd when you unpack 14 bags from the back of the car....

Belladonna said...

Just counted. 2 suitcases. 7 bags (shopping tote size), 6 bags shopping (fruit, corn, etc. from roadside markets)... and 4 boxes wine (it was vinyard country).
What does this say about me???