If you can speak...

... you can sing.

I've been singing in choirs most of my life, even had some individual lessons to improve how I sound alone. Nothing special to begin with, but over time I've improved, and I expect that to continue. More about that in this earlier post http://stitchsarah.blogspot.co.nz/2012/10/learning-to-sing-at-last.html

It's the Best Thing. Better than chocolate. Or sex. It may be that I'm doing either/both of those unskilfully, or that more participants/lessons might help, but you get the idea.

If I were given a diva's bouquet for every time someone said to me "I wish I could sing" or "I can't sing" ... florists would be our most profitable business sector.

I don't know where Voice Shaming comes from, but it's a horrible thing we do to each other. 

Why do people with zero expertise choose to sneer at others' voices?
Why do so many of us take that baseless criticism on board?

Honestly folks, if you can speak, you can sing. 

Singing uses exactly the same physical equipment as speech, just some additional skills required. Some people may find those skills easier to learn than others do, and some people's physical equipment may offer a more pleasing basic sound than others, but it's something we all can do. And it feels so good! If you sing with me, 100% guarantee I won't be judging what you sound like, I'll just be so happy we're doing a fun thing together. 

The picture is my view at rehearsal in the Auckland Town Hall. A whole lot of happy people doing the good stuff.

No comments: