Enough already!

Today I experienced a couple of strong contrasts, both rather poignant, and one not very flattering to me.

I visited Ellis Island. Unlike most of the "lower socio-economic status" immigrants who were processed here, I was free to move through the buildings and grounds as I pleased, and to depart on whichever ferry I chose. These are different times, my status vis-a-vis the state is different. I feel lucky to be here and now.

The other difference is that most of the immigrants were very poor, right on the borderline of acceptance in the test of ability to support themselves. Whereas I walked up Broadway, and bought four more pairs of utterly frivolous shoes. Since then my greatest worry has been how I'll fit this abundance of personal wealth into my luggage. Still feeling lucky, but it has a taint. Say what you like about supporting the economy, sometimes nothing but the word greed will do.

1 comment:

Intuitive Textile Journeys said...

You'll never guess what my word verification is for this comment? gredi - no joke - it totally is! Can't wait to see dem frivilous shoes ... and poor me, my only purchase a new fridge ... but only because I can't seem to find any frivilous shoes to purchase. Prosperity and more abundance - yeh. Quilting is going well. Bugs quilt with Sandi for quilting. Started the 21st Jazz quilt last weekend and hoping this QB wknd to do heaps more - flying through it ... haven't stitched a stitch yet though. He he. Sing big and mighty and enjoy yourself.