one quilter's trash

She wasn't throwing out, but practically giving it away - the fabric on the trading table was my treasure.

I love the Auckland Quiltmakers annual show - first weekend in May I'm always there to admire. Each member has a strong and individual style, plus there is great shopping from 2-3 select merchants. The members have a great sale of previously exhibited works - and of course the Trading Table of fabric that they are letting move on. 

I was entranced by the chunky silk sari threads woven with gold Lurex. Didn't I have a power jacket made of this stuff in the 80's?


Found a few more 'treasures' on the table, and added a little more at home.  Thought about it for a week or so, then began cutting.  This is the first time I have ever made a kit for each block before sewing. Completely unnecessary.  It might also be the first time I have used my own hand-dyed fabric. Those funny yellows. The nice hand-dyed green and plum and purple is by Janet & Peggy of Dye-It Fabrics.

First a frame around each square of the silk, then a 4-patch unit. I could not make the same quilt twice if you paid me, but I think I'll be using this simple piecing construction method again.

Laid the 4-patches down in order of sewing - looked so good that was nearly the final arrangement - but a little more playing around with the sneaky half-rows and I'm very pleased with the end result.

In another first, this is a quilt (top at least) completed in the same season as the fabric was purchased.



Of course I have sewn until bedtime to get to this milestone, now there's no daylight to take a decent colour photo. Next time!

2 comments:

Intuitive Textile Journeys said...

Wow you are going to have this one finished quick smart.

Elizabeth said...

Good for you Sarah. Can't wait to see the final photo