finding the beat

Between singing lessons and vocal coaching at choir, I think I'm on the path to bettering that part of my musicianship.

There's plenty of other room for improvement. I'm a woeful time-keeper, especially with offbeat rhythms, and through long rests.

Just as I decide I need to do something about this, along comes the opportunity to participate in a 3-day workshop of the TaKeTiNa rhythm learning process. More about the method in this youtube video

Having had a taste of the method a while ago, I had little hesitation in signing up. Even managed to convince the guitarist in the household to come along too.

I'm very glad I did. It was the first time I've got comfortable with off-beat, 5-beat, 9-beat, 3-in-4 rhythms to the point of real pleasure and confidence.  Much more importantly, I also experienced falling out of those rhythms with humour and recovering them with grace.

That's a little bit less fear to carry around, a bit more joy to offer back.

Good news for Kiwis - there will be another TaKeTiNa workshop in Auckland early next year. Contact http://www.newworldrhythm.com for more information and tell them I sent you




1 comment:

Kathryn in NZ said...

Loving seeing your confidence and joy in this. Go you!! xxooxx