Not working enough

When I took on a job that has me working from home, I was a bit worried.
Worried about whether I would actually work.


After all, I have a Masters in Procrastination, with a Major in Self-Distraction and these are some of my specialties:
  • like to sleep
  • like to read
  • like to make art
  • like to tweet
  • like to go shoe-shopping
  • like to walk on the beach.
  • With enough time I even like to cook 
There are also the great truths that:
  • the garden needs serious work
  • the freezer needs defrosting
  • the bathroom needs painting
  • so does the pantry
  • what's that interesting jar back there? - ooh! brandied apricots...
No matter how attractive working from home appears, I cannot expect my customers or employer to step aside for me to do this stuff. Even though all these things are in my face in my work space.

The thing is... there's NOBODY looking. Nobody to note how much time or effort I put into my day, when I'm in the office or out of it. Nobody to bolster my willpower and reinforce my self-discipline.  I truly had no idea how much of my work ethic is actually located inside other people, and based in their expectations. Also, not so great at resisting temptation. Worrying.

My art work is completely different - it's all self-driven in terms of content and timing. It's great if *you* like it, but I really don't care. I'm learning to do it when the work and I are ready, so rate of progress isn't a significant measure either. No concerns about Letting Anyone Else Down

I had a lot of worried thoughts about all this.

Tune in tomorrow  - same Bat-time, same Bat-channel - to discover what actually happens


No comments: